This indulgent dessert is to be shared with pleasure in moments of reunion and served with Cabot Trail maple cream. We bet that it will quickly become a holiday staple.
Cabot Trail Maple Cream Cranberry Orange Yule Log
8 egg whites
180 ml (3/4 cup) + 22 ml (1½ tbsp.) sugar
8 egg yolks
15 ml (1 tbsp.) orange juice
Zest of 1 large orange
125 ml (½ cup) + 15 ml (1 tbsp.) flour
A pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 205 °C (400 °F) and line a 11 x 17-inch baking sheet with parchment paper, allowing some overhang.
2. In a large bowl, whip egg whites with an electric mixer and gradually add 22 ml (1½ tbsp.) of sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
3. In another large bowl, using the same beaters, beat egg yolks with the remaining 180 ml (3/4 cup) of sugar, orange juice, orange zest, and salt for about 3 minutes, until thick and pale yellow.
4. Sift the flour over the egg yolk mixture and fold in until just combined.
5. Gently fold ⅓ of the beaten egg whites into the yolk mixture, then fold in the rest until smooth.
6. Spoon the batter onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes until the cake’s top turns golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar, cover with a clean tea towel, and flip the cake onto the towel.
8. Remove the parchment paper, trim any edges as needed, and roll up the cake using the towel. Set it aside to cool completely.
500 ml (2 cups) 35% cream
45 ml (3 tbsp.) icing sugar
75 ml (1/3 cup) Cabot Trail maple cream
1. Place cream in a bowl, sift in icing sugar.
2. Beat with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until it thickens.
3. Gradually add Cabot Trail maple cream and beat until thick and smooth. Refrigerate.
500 ml (2 cups) fresh cranberries
125 ml (½ cup) maple syrup
3 ml (1/2 tbs.) orange blossom water
1. In a saucepan, bring cranberries and maple syrup to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium and cook down, stirring occasionally, until most liquid evaporates, and berries burst.
3. Remove from heat, let cool, and stir in orange blossom water.
1 recipe of sugared cranberries
6-8 fresh rosemary sprigs
1 orange thinly sliced.
1. Lay a towel over the cooled sponge cake, flip it onto your work surface so the cake is on top of the towel.
2. Spread cranberry mixture evenly over the cake.
3. Then, spread whipped cream on top, reserving about 180 ml (3/4 cup).
4. Starting at the longer end of the cake, gently roll it up using the towel to assist. Roll it onto a platter, seam side down.
5. Spread the remaining cream over the top of the log and carefully garnish with orange slices, frosted cranberries, and rosemary sprigs.